After moving to New York alone, writer Olivia Laing discovered the truth about loneliness. She says it is a gift. Eric Klinenberg explains why more and more people are choosing to live alone and why cities like New York must invest in housing stock that singletons actually want to live in, the type of housing they have in Scandinavian countries. In Denmark when someone dies alone, and no-one claims the body, the authorities put an ad in the newspaper calling forPossible Relatives. This is also the title of a photo-book by Danish photographer Tina Enghoff. She tells us about the pictures she took of the apartments after the dead were removed. Some of these bodies went undiscovered for months.
Theory of Everything — Internship Program
Theory of Everything is a radio show produced and hosted by Benjamen Walker it is part of the Radiotopia podcast collective/network from PRX. It’s based in New York City. We’re pleased to announce a unique internship program.
Interns will help with general intern-y kinds of tasks, such as: logging and cutting tape, booking guests, creating transcripts for past episodes, and performing basic website maintenance (HTML knowledge not required). There will also be opportunities to work on all aspects of the program including possible reporting/voice work.
In addition, interns will have the opportunity to do things that interest them, such as: pitching story ideas, working on stories with the host, editing scripts, creating web content, (possibly) reporting and writing, or maybe working on something else that hasn’t been thought of yet.
As such, our ideal candidate:
- Is very familiar with the show.
- Has experience in audio production, Pro Tools.
- Is a self-starter, and is excited by the possibilities of this position’s self-directed nature.
- Has a strong idea about what s/he wants to get out of this internship.
Interns will receive a stipend of $700/month, and are expected to work with the host two days per week. Hours can be flexible to accommodate other work.
To apply, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with…
- A resume
- A cover letter
- Two references
- Links to two or three projects that you are proud of, such as radio stories, writing, websites, etc. (Please don’t send media as attachments. If referring us to audio work, please make sure that audio can be downloaded from the host site. PRX does this automatically; Soundcloud requires that you enable this feature when you upload).
Also, please answer the below questions in the body of your email.
1. Do you currently reside in NYC?
2. What kind of relevant experience do you have?
3. How much experience do you have using Pro Tools (or comparable audio editing software)?
4. What do you hope to get out of this experience?
Our first internship will run early April – june 2015. Priority will be given to local applicants, at least for the time being.
The deadline to apply is March 15th. Again, the address to send everything is email@example.com.
Podcast: Download (Duration: 27:22 — 25.0MB)